Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things... Blush

Continuing my series of my favorite things, I decided the next product to tackle was blush.


I think a lot of people are put off by the idea of blush, but I've never seen blush as scary or clown-like. I've gone through periods where my skin is very red and irritated, but to me, blush doesn't emphasize redness or make it look worse (a common fear I've heard in the beauty community as to why girls won't wear blush). I'm very fair - that's no secret. I was definitely the kid who got the "Are you sick? You look white as a ghost!" comments on the daily. As I've gotten more and more into makeup, I find that a pop of color on the cheek really wakes up my skin and face. As my busy schedule has cut back on the complexities of my eye makeup, I've definitely been reaching for blush as a way to mix up my looks. Here're just a few of my tried-and-true favorites -- let's get started!!

Pink Toned Blushes

Bobbi Brown Nectar, MAC Pinch O' Peach, MAC Well Dressed

Swatches: Bobbi Brown Nectar, MAC Pinch O' Peach, MAC Well Dressed

Bobbi Brown Nectar: I've owned this blush for forever, and keep coming back to it. I don't wear it often, but it is certainly one of my favorites. The pigmentation, wear, and texture of this blush is amazing. It's a bright pink coral, and it really adds a pop of color on my fair skin. I generally wear this when I'm keeping the eye makeup minimal and I want my skin to shine.

MAC Pinch O' Peach: This is a similar color to Nectar, but lighter. It has a bit less red and more peach undertones to it. I generally wear this with everyday neutral eyes. It's just such a pretty color - this blush always makes me look really happy and awake and is fairly similar to my natural blush.

MAC Well Dressed: A super light, bright cool pink. This is my go-to blush when I don't know what else to reach for. If you're scared of the "clown face blush" look, this may be a good blush for you to check out. It's hard to overdo it, and it won't leave you looking red or scary looking!!

Neutral Toned Blushes

Clinique Honey Blush, NARS Douceur 

Swatches: Clinique Honey Blush, NARS Douceur 

Clinique Honey Blush: This was the first blush I ever owned, and I wore it just about every day of middle and high school. It's a warm peachy-neutral color. I freckle a lot in the summer, and this shade works beautifully with my freckles. This is another blush that you can apply to the apples of your cheeks without fear of "clown face."

Nars Douceur Blush: This is a great neutral blush for fair skin. Unlike the other blushes I've showcased here, I would NOT recommend wearing this on the apple of the cheek. I tend to start it a bit further back on this and use it to define my cheeks and add just a touch of color. This is the only blush I'll use when I have a super dark or colorful eye look, and I love that it keeps me from looking dead without making me look like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show.

Does anyone else share some of my favorites? Any hidden gems out there? Let me know what some of your favorite blushes are down below!

XOXO Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment