Tuesday, March 26, 2013

*REVIEW* - Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation and Pressed Powder

I've never been one to really jump on a "makeup trend" or grab something the second it comes out unless it's a limited edition color of a product I already love. I don't know what called out to me about the Nearly Naked products, but as every blogger and vlogger I follow seems to have picked them up recently I felt like I was the only girl alive who hadn't tried them. (The fact that I'd had a couple of margaritas at dinner with CDBP immediately before definitely didn't have anything to do with my lowered makeup buying inhibitions. Riiiiight.) I purchased these for about $7.50 each at Walmart. I got the lightest shade in both - Ivory in the foundation and Fair in the powder.  



This is definitely a light to buildable-medium coverage foundation on me. My biggest skin issue is redness and uneven tone, and this evened out my complexion for me. It blends really well into the skin; when you first apply, it sinks in and doesn't feel like it's sitting on top of your face (more on this later). It is slightly more dewy/natural in finish than other foundations I own. This is exactly what I'd hoped for, as I had mentioned that my skin has been getting dryer and my HG foundation and powder combination had been looking just a tad too powdery on me. 

The biggest issue I have with foundation is the wear. It most definitely oxidizes on me by the end of the day. It's such a bummer to look in the mirror at the end of the day and realize my skin suddenly has an orange tint to it. It also leaves my skin feeling oily and shiny as the day goes on. It's funny that it melts right into my skin and doesn't feel like "makeup" at all in the morning, but after 8 hours I'm jonesing to wash my face. Part of this could also be that I am so used to wearing very matte face makeup and anything else "feels" oily to me. Other than the oxidizing and the added oiliness, it stays put. It doesn't wear off or have bare patches by evening, which is nice. I don't have issues with it clinging to dry patches or emphasizing them. Overall I like the foundation, and think it will be nice during the summer when I want light wear and a dewier look. Having a bit more color to my skin may also make the oxidizing less noticeable.

I'm torn on the powder. It's very finely milled and I'm impressed with how little fallout you get in the pan. However, even in the shade fair, it is still a tad too dark for my skin. I sometimes use a smaller, denser brush to pat powder on top of areas I've put concealer, and I can't do that with this powder without leaving an orange-y, too-dark spot on my face. I also find the smell of the powder to be just awful and very strong... which is weird because the foundation has no smell unless you're practically huffing it, and then it's just the faaaaaintest whiff of SPF. It doesn't do much to set my face either; this is definitely a nearly naked product. When using only this, the concealer under my eyes creases before I've even finished my eye makeup (and I have to pat it out and apply my HG Maybelline Dream Matte Powder). The powder might also be why my skin is so oily by the end of the day - it doesn't seem to do much to prevent oil or set my makeup.When using this, I've taken to setting any concealer areas with the Dream Matte Powder and then dusting the Nearly Naked Pressed Powder over my whole face. 

However. This powder makes my skin look lovely right after application. It is smooth and natural looking, without being either shiny (no powder) or overly powdery (Dream Matte Powder). It does what it claims to do - provide a nearly naked look. It softens the appearance of skin just enough without blocking the natural texture. I do wish this would set my makeup better/last longer on me, as it gives my skin a really lovely look for the first few hours. 

Overall, I like both of these products, but I'm not in love with either of them. I think they're good options for normal-to-dry skin that needs light coverage, and I definitely think this would be good for a natural summer face. I would avoid this if you have oily skin, as it made even my normal-to-dry skin seem oily! I want to break up the duo and see how I like the wear of the foundation when used with my Dream Matte Powder and how I like the powder when it's worn over other foundations. 

Has anyone else tried the Nearly Naked duo? How did it hold up on your skin? Did you like the powder or foundation better in another pairing? Let me know down below!

XOXO Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment