Monday, March 11, 2013

Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal Cream Eye Shadows

If you've read my other post about the Maybelline Color Tattoo shadows, you know I'm a huge fan. When I saw the release of the Metal collection, I lost it. I assumed they were limited edition and ran into my nearest Ulta to snatch them up before they disappeared forever. They were incredibly picked over, and if memory serves me correctly I got the last of at least a couple of my shades. Well, turns out that they are part of the PERMANENT line, which thrills me! The three I picked up are Gold Rush, Silver Strike, and Inked in Pink. I skipped Electric Blue, a super dark cobalt blue (Am I the only one who was picturing a neon bright blue with a name like that?) and Barely Branded, a nude that seemed too similar to the Barely Beige I picked up in the fall LE release.

Inked in Pink, Gold Rush, Silver Strike 

Of course I bought more - why have just one when you can have 10?

These new metal shades seem to be the same formulation as the rest of the permanent line, with perhaps a bit more shimmer and sparkle to them. I've never been able to get crease-less all day wear out of the Color Tattoos due to my oily eyelids, but a bit of primer underneath isn't too much effort and keeps the shadows crease-free all day. My favorite out of the trio has to be Inked in Pink. I was afraid it might make me look sickly, but it definitely applies more as a neutral than bold burst of pink on my eyes. It's really comparable in idea to Urban Decay's Sin (found in Naked 1) - in fact, I love patting Sin on top of Inked in Pink and feel like they really compliment each other.

Top: Gold Rush; Bottom: Inked in Pink

If you are afraid that Gold Rush will be too comparable to Bold Gold and that you are wasting money buying it, let me assuage your fears right here - they look nothing alike. Unlike Bold Gold, which features a bronzey-brown base with gold shimmer, Gold Rush is yellow gold through and through with tons of yellow gold sparkle heaped in. It lacks the orange cast so many golds have (I'm looking at you, Half Baked and Amber Lights), which looks nicer on my super fair skin. I haven't worn it too much this winter, but I feel like I'm going to get a ton of use out of it come summer!

Top: Silver Strike; Bottom: Gold Rush

My final purchase was Silver Strike and I have to be honest: I have yet to wear it. I think it would be super pretty as a base under a purple look or a smoky grey eye. I'm sure if you lean more towards cool or grey tones for your daily look, you would get more use out of this than me. It's a great quality shadow, and I hope I find a way to include it more everyday looks. In my swatching experiments, Stila Kitten looked like it held some promise when layered over it, but I will have to let you guys know how this pans out on the eye.

Overall, I think this is a nice addition to the permanent line and fills in holes in the color range, particularly in the lighter neutrals. The inclusion of a neutral everyday color fixes what I perceived to be the only weakness of the original launch. If it doesn't crease on you, do you feel like this could be a replacement for other high end cream shadows and bases? I know I've definitely passed on MAC Paint Pots because I own so many of these and they are so comparable and much cheaper. Let me know what you think in the comments below, and I'll talk to you guys later!

XOXO Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment