Thursday, October 4, 2012

Maybelline 24 Hour Tattoo Eye Shadows

So here's the thing.

I am completely and totally obsessed with Maybelline's 24 Hour Tattoo Eye Shadows. 



I'm sure this isn't a surprise to anyone, as people have been raving about them since they were released earlier this year. I went out and bought a couple (Tough as Taupe and Bold Gold), and fell so in love with them that I went back and got more. And when they came out with the LE shades for fall this year? Swoon. I was all over that. I have really only purchased neutral colors because I tend to wear neutrals on a day-to-day basis. If I'm going to be doing a crazy color (maybe once or twice a week, MAX), I'll use UDPP + a NYX Jumbo Eye Shadow Pencil as those are cheaper and come in a wider variety of matte, shimmery, and glittery colors. 

Swatches of all the shades I own.

From left to right: Too Cool, Barely Beige, Tough as Taupe, Bold Gold

Too Cool: The swatch doesn't show up well in the photo. It's definitely sheer, but I find that it works really nicely to amp up lighter or brighter colors, as well as boosting matte shadows with less color payoff. 
Barely Beige: (Fall LE) This is a beautiful every day base color and I'm sorely disappointed that this is an LE shade. This is the kind of skin-toned basic that was missing from the original launch. This works as a great base on the lid for an every day look - to me it is in the same vein of peachy neutrals as MAC's Naked Lunch and All That Glitters, and I love it.

Because the larger swatch picture didn't do much for the lighter shades, here's an up close of the two lightest shades in my collection.

Tough as Taupe: This is the only matte I own. It falls into the "greige" category, and you can easily make it work with either browns or greys. It's a unique color, for sure, but it can be really hard to work with if you're applying it with a finger to bare skin. I do this for all the colors, but find it absolutely necessary for this one in particular: apply just a dab of your normal base first (I use UDPP) and then use a synthetic shader brush to control where you're applying it. It will create a much more even, less streaky layer than attempting to apply it with your finger.
Bold Gold: This shade doesn't have much color payoff, and I find it to be a bit slicker than the other ones. I definitely feel like I need to use primer underneath it. This was a great neutral summer look for me, and I wore it on the lid to just get a nice glow on my eyes and not have lots of heavy shadow melting down my face. I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it in winter, but even though it isn't my favorite of the shadows, I've probably used it the most. 

From left to right: Gold Shimmer, Bad to the Bronze, Rich Mahogany

Gold Shimmer: (Fall LE) This is a beautiful, opaque, bronze-y gold. This would be a perfect base for a gold or bronze smoky eye. It's definitely a more fall gold, and not the sheer, yellow, summery gold of Bold Gold.
Bad to the Bronze: Okay, I seriously don't get why this has bronze in the name. Seriously. This product is nearly the same shade as MAC's Satin Taupe, and it definitely has more cool undertones to it. That said, it is probably my favorite color I own. It's just beautiful. Sometimes I do a simple look with this on the lid, MAC's Satin Taupe in the crease to blend it out, and a highlight shade. Other times I'll use this as a great base for a smoky brown look. If I could only keep one shade, this would be the shade I'd save.
Rich Mahogany: A fantastic deep brown with flecks of reddish glitter in - this would perfect with cranberry or fallish red colors. It's a very rich color, and it's perfect for fall.

Overall I'm incredibly happy with these shadows. They are super affordable, the packaging is nice and heavy (definitely doesn't feel cheap), and the color payoff is fantastic. I find them highly comparable to MAC Paint Pots, with a more diverse permanent color range. While these claim to last for 24 hours, I still like to use a little UDPP underneath because my lids are slightly oily. A smidge of that and these bad boys won't budge at all, which is remarkable for a cream shadow. If you haven't tried these, I'd highly recommend grabbing one and keeping an eye out for any LE shadows in coming seasons. 

Have you tried the 24 Hour Tattoo Shadows? What other colors should I check out? Let me know in the comments below!

Peace, love, & lots of mascara!

XOXO Samantha


2 comments:

  1. I only have tough as taupe, but after seeing these swatches I definitely want to try more! You have such lovely neutral shades x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would also really recommend checking out the new Color Tattoo Metals - I have a few of those now as well and I'm loving Inked in Pink. It's much more neutral than the name suggests!

      Delete