Friday, August 23, 2013

Inspiration, or How I Got Out of my Makeup Rut

For the past few months, I haven't had much inspiration for this blog. Quite frankly, I didn't have much inspiration to do anything except get up, put on my ugly uniform, and trudge into work. I pretty much stopped wearing makeup to work, and the only thing gracing my face on the daily was SPF and my Baby Lips in Cherry. Moving has given me the boost I needed to get out of my makeup rut. I'm excited to get up and get ready in the mornings again, and it shows on my face. I wanted to share some of the products that have gotten me out of my rut and back into doing fun daily makeup, because let's face it, we all could use a little pick-me-up now and then. Hopefully you can be inspired too!

1. The Naked Palettes 

I know, I know. Everyone has them. But there's a reason! Seriously, I forgot how much I love these things. You can do everything from a sweep of light color across the whole lid and brow to a heavy smokey look out of one palette, and I find that having the darker colors right in front of me encourages me to have a bit more fun with my day to day makeup. If I'm just grabbing individual pots I'm more likely to play it safe and stay with light-to-medium colors. 

2. Laura Mercier Creme Liner in Espresso 

I've been a Bobbi Brown Gel Liner fangirl for over a decade now - I actually remember wearing the violet color for the first time to a high school football game when I was 13 (nightlife for a middle schooler) and my friends complementing my liner. Since then I've been smitten, but I think there might be some competition in town. LM's formula seems a bit creamier and smoother. Regardless, I forgot how much I love drawing on the thinnest line of liner and flicking out a tiny wing - so much more flattering than a thick smudgy line of pencil on me! I have a jar of Bobbi Brown in my drawer in black that hasn't been opened yet, and I may have to do a comparison post to settle the matter on the differences once and for all! 

3. MAC Brow Pencil in Lingering 

My brows have fallen by the wayside the past few months. Every once in a while I would get close enough to a mirror to see my brows and be ashamed that they had gotten into such bad condition. I normally pluck a few stray hairs each morning before my makeup, but no makeup meant I had forgotten about plucking! I've started using a brow pencil every day and it adds so much more definition than tinted brow gel on its own. Plus defined brows make me feel fierce, and you can't go wrong with that! 

4. MAC Pearlmatte Powders from the Baking Beauties Collection 

I told y'all you'd be hearing about them. I love 'em. They're beautiful to look at and gorgeous on the skin - how could you not love them? These 2 are enough of a reason to get out of bed in the morning and sit down at my vanity.  I am particularly fond of the pink one - it is very similar in color to my favorite MAC blush, Well Dressed, and I've been pairing them together almost every day.

I'm curious to know how you guys have gotten out of makeup ruts in the past - has there been a product that's inspired you to change up your look or that has made makeup fun again?

XOXO Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment