Sunday, January 5, 2014

Nail of the Day: Estee Lauder's Caviar Nail Polish

Hello everybody! I hope your January has been off to a great start. Despite the depressing amounts of snow that the Great Lakes and Arctic winds seem determined to dump on me, I'm actually in my most chipper mood in ages. My boyfriend and I went to see Frozen today and I am absolutely in love. I love a good Disney fairytale movie and Frozen was wonderful. The music is outstanding; even my no-musicals-ever boyfriend was humming the songs in the car on the way home. I highly recommend that you go see it! (It may also make you hate snow a little less... or not. Let's try to be positive here, okay?)

I received a mini size of this Estee Lauder polish in Caviar in my stocking for Christmas and decided to try it out. I have been loving grey nail polish for the cooler months, and I've been wearing a lot of Essie's Power Clutch (a midtone grey) and Vested Interest (a blue-green grey) this winter. Caviar is darker than Power Clutch, and while it appears to be a cream polish, I noticed while taking pictures that there is a fine microshimmer in it. It is not super apparent on the nails, but if you look super closely in bright light you can see it. For all intents and purposes, it does look like a cream polish.

Eureka! I found the shimmer!
I took pictures under a softer incandescent light and in my kitchen's bright fluorescent light. The color does look different depending on the light. It looks like a dark charcoal grey under some lights, but in super bright light it does appear to have a bit of a green - or maybe blue? - cast to it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'll share both pictures with you below. The difference isn't quite as dramatic in person as it is in the photos, but there have been a few times today when I've wondered if there is an undertone to the polish or if I'm imagining it. I think the shimmer - which I just noticed while photographing - may be what is making it look blue-ish under bright lights.

Incandescent Light
Fluorescent Lighting
You can see the microshimmer the best here!

I haven't worn an Estee Lauder nail polish since I was in middle school and got some as a gift with purchase, so I can't tell you much about the wear. I'm guessing the polish has changed in 12 years! Unfortunately, these photographs are without a base or top coat because I left them (and some other polishes) at my parents' house when I was home for Christmas. I doubt I'll get more than a couple days of wear out of any polish without my trusty Revlon base and top coat! (I bet the shimmer would be more noticeable with a shiny top coat as well!)

Have you guys had success with Estee Lauder polishes? What are your go-to greys from any brand? I hope you guys had a fantastic weekend, and I will talk to you all soon!

XOXO
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment