Monday, January 6, 2014

Berry Baked Oatmeal

Good morning!

I shared my love of baked oatmeal with you a couple of weeks ago, but my apple crumble recipe is but one of several I make on a weekly basis. Today, I'm going to be sharing my berry baked oatmeal with you. While I used mixed frozen berries (because that was what was in my freezer), I've also used just blueberries or strawberries. I've never tried frozen fruit like mango or a tropical mix because that doesn't sound tasty to me, but if you're feeling adventurous and try it, let me know how you liked it in the comments! Feel free to mix up the sweeteners or add some milled flax seed (though you may need another splash of almond milk if you use flax).

This recipe works great as a make ahead breakfast. I usually make it the night before and stick it in my fridge until I'm ready to bake it the next morning. I use Corningware ramekins that came in a large set I got when I moved, and they have really nice lids that I can snap on before I put it in the fridge. I just turn my oven on, pop the lid off, and stick my oatmeal in the oven for the normal amount of time. It comes out perfectly every time! (Preparing breakfast ahead of time and setting my coffee maker on a timer are two HUGE time savers for me in the morning.)


Berry Baked Oatmeal




  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup + a splash more unsweetened vanilla almond milk (if you use fewer berries, you may need more liquid)
  • 3 tsp brown sugar, divided 
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2-1 cup frozen berries (blueberries, mixed berries, strawberries)
Preheat your oven to 380. Spray a small ramekin with non-stick spray, like Pam.

In a bowl, mix together the oats, almond milk, 2 tsp of the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, salt & nutmeg.

Add the berries and mix. (If you add the berries with the rest of the ingredients, the almond milk tends to freeze on the berries, sticking them together and making stirring a real pain. Learn from my trial and error, folks.)

Pour the mixture into the ramekin. Sprinkle the remaining tsp of brown sugar on top. 

Place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, turn on the broiler and broil for 3-4 minutes. 


You will be left with a gorgeous, bubbly baked oatmeal that will look more like a berry cobbler than a healthy breakfast. The brown sugar on top creates a delicious crunchy and slightly caramelized layer that is out-of-this world and a great contrast to the softer baked oats underneath.

XOXO
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment